Pages

Friday 3 May 2013

Henry VIII's Wives: History in an Hour by Julie Wheeler

Review by The Mole

From BBC drama to "Carry On Henry" to books such as "Wolf Hall", "Bring Up The Bodies", "VIII" and many more - the wives of Henry VIII have been the subject of attention throughout recent times. But what were the facts behind the stories?

Six wives, six lives in an hour doesn't give the opportunity to do any of the people true justice but it does concentrate the information into the most important facts.

Once again I have to admit my knowledge of this subject was lacking - it didn't even stretch to the order they married in! When I read this I came away with a very different impression of both the wives and the man's relationship with them, also his gullibility to be influenced by those around him. Please don't think though that I came away thinking him a sweet innocent - anything but. As I mentioned there is not much time for detail, but as an appetite whetter it is an extremely good read and may well leave you wanting more from much larger tomes.

Another very good book in the History in an Hour series. (See my review of World War One History in an Hour by Rupert Colley)

Publisher - Harper Press
Genre - Non-Fiction, Tudor, History

Buy Henry VIII's Wives: History in an Hour from Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment